Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Movies to Show Your Child, and Books to Read Them

Throughout my blog, I've had a typical theme of how women are negatively portrayed in the media (including film and books) mainly in America. The way we can change this is by re-enforcing to young children that girls are simply humans, and humans that are no different from the opposite gender. This also applies to women and self-image, another idea that needs re-enforcement: that we are all individually beautiful. Growing up, I wish that I had read more books with stronger female leads, that I was told women in magazines are photo-shopped, and that I was told I can do anything a man can do. I was raised by a whole family of females, until my younger brother came along in 2001 (we're five years apart).

My brother and I, circa 2001-02


You would think growing up being raised by my grandmothers (and spending lots of time with my aunt and girl cousins) that they would have instilled stronger female/feministic values in me...but they didn't, and I've had to figure it out on my own. I'm thankful to have grown up with a strong and open mind, and that I've been able to find my values as a women in this world. I'm not a woman who wants children (I'm about 90% sure), but if I had kids, no matter female or male, I would want them to know they're as good as anyone else is. It's harder to figure that out as an adult. I'm compiling a list here of movies and books your little girl should see and read. They include empowerment of females, independence of females (no damsel in distress needing saving from a prince here, guys!), and the message that there's a place for women in society. Enjoy!

1. I mentioned in a past blog that the STEM field needs more women. Workers make up almost half (48%) of the workforce in the U.S. but of that only 24% work in a STEM career. Gender representation in STEM is represented as males almost all of the time. This book, 'Rosie Revere, Engineer' by Andrea Beaty shows little girls that they can be an engineer! This is a rare find in children's literature.

The story of a girl who dreams of building a flying machine.
2. A book that changes the damsel in distress theme most fairy tales have is 'The Paper Bag Princess' by Robert Munsch (also the author of the popular 'Love You Forever' book). It reverses the princess/dragon stereotype. Because of it's feminist qualities, the NOW (National Organization for Women) even sells the book on their website. 
A story of a little girl who knows her worth. 
3. To add a movie in here, Mulan is a must-see for girls. Girl power is written all over this Disney film, and I love it! Mulan dresses up as a man and goes to war in place of her father, totally showing the men who does it best. This is an example of a women doing a "man's" job (in the era this movie is represented in, it's unacceptable for women to go to war) and doing it beyond well. Jobs/war does not discriminate against gender. Here's a good video analyzing Mulan, especially gender roles.
A woman fighting hard in a man's world. 
4. I'm going to end here with a very popular book AND movie series, 'The Hunger Games.' Katniss Everdeen is a teenager chosen to fight to the death in an arena with other teens. Katniss comes through as independent and loyal to her friends. She has a big heart, and she has ot face many tough decisions, staying strong along the way. Katniss shoots a bow and arrow, guns, and she fights physically and mentally against people throughout the whole series. A definitely read and watch for anyone, especially girls. Of course they need to be a little older to read the books, but you can show them the movies whenever. 
A teenage girl fights for survival (in more ways than one).






No comments:

Post a Comment